Friday, November 20, 2009

FRANKI CHAN exclusive interview for TFFKRWD.com




TFFKRWD.com exclusive interview with IHEARTCOMIX records label owner/producer/dj FRANKI CHAN!!!


TFFKRWD - where did you get your start in the dj/music business?

FRANKI - I got my start playing drums in a punk band based out of Bloomington, IN called Operation: Cliff Clavin. We were very immersed in the DIY scene and this inspired me to start booking my own shows. fast forward a few years and I moved to Bellingham and Seattle, WA. There wasn't much to do after the shows I was doing there, so I decided to start playing music after, which lead to DJing, which lead to throwing dance parties. It was all a pretty natural evolution.

TFFKRWD - how man years have you been producing?

FRANKI - The production side of what I do is fairly recent. I just began working on making my own dance tracks in the last year. Before that I was always just DJing or working with the various artists on my label or drawing.

TFFKRWD - what are some of the tools you are using to produce?

FRANKI - Right now I'm mainly working in Ableton while using a midi keyboard. I work a lot of stuff out on turntables as well and sometimes friends will help me mix in protools.

TFFKRWD - how do you select an artist for IHEARTCOMIX records?

FRANKI - It's quite simple really, I just have to like them. That's the first major step. My tastes are always changing as well, so what I looking for is constantly evolving (hence the diversity on the label). Once I become interested in an artist, then begins the process of getting to know them, watching them play live, etc. If the relationship turns into something positive and it makes sense for us to work together, then hopefully we work it out!

TFFKRWD - what are a few tips for starting up a record label?

FRANKI - Be careful how much money you spend and where you spend it. The industry is changing rapidly and old standards are quickly becoming extinct. It's also important to do what's important for the individual artist vs just putting someone through a cookie cutter machine. Again, the world has and what works for one person may not work for another. You need to take the time to discover everyone's niche market(s).

TFFKRWD - where can people go to find out more about IHEARTCOMIX & its artists?

FRANKI - The best place to start is our website www.iheartcomix.com
Our myspace page is a good resource as well www.myspace.com/iheartcomixrecords

TFFKRWD - i really appreciate you taking the time to do this interview.

FRANKI - thanks alot!

No comments:

Post a Comment