Saturday, October 24, 2009

Dani Deahl exclusive interview for tffkrwd.com




here is a TFFKRWD.com exclusive interview with artist/producer/label owner DANI DEAHL...


TFFKRWD - how long have you been a dj?

DANI DEAHL - Good lord...it's been ten years!

TFFKRWD - what are some of your most fun/memorable dj experiences?

DD - There are so many - there are sweet moments, like the time a fan in Mexico brought me handcrafted local gifts for my birthday, and there are wtf moments like the time I found myself playing beer pong with Greg Dona (of blog Panda Toes) in the basement of his frat house. There was a time promoters in Nicaragua took me to a small surfing town for lessons and the time I was nearly arrested and held for ransom by Federalis in Cancun. It's absolutely insane to think about the odd experiences I've had in the course of DJing. That's the brilliant part about traveling and doing it - because you're in the hands of locals, not resorts, the opportunity for crazy seems to present itself a lot.

TFFKRWD - who are some of the names on your label calamity jane?

DD - The Glamour was our first release, followed by True Pseudo and currently we have Pilotpriest, whose single "Zipper" just recently hit (and watch for the ultra-amazing Stonebridge mixes coming out soon!) The fantastic thing about our artists are the breadth of sounds they produce and the volume of material they're constantly working on. They're true artists - not just guys making tracks.

TFFKRWD - what producers/artists are major influences to the music you produce?

DD - There's tons of sounds. Generally I try to produce what it is I would want to listen to if I were at a club, and it was 2am and packed and sweaty. It's a visceral reaction. Right now I find myself moving away from more synth-laden tracks (although I do have one that I'm finishing up) and moving towards a more minimal, slightly Dutch influenced sound. I think minimal tracks present different challenges
- every piece has to be perfect so the track sounds full without layers and layers of sound. That being said, I totally have an audio crush on Afrojack right now.

TFFKRWD - where can people go to find out more information about you and other calamity jane artists?

DD - For more info on me, they can check out my website, www.danideahl.com which has links to everything from my podcast to my Facebook. For Calamity Jane artists, they can check out our website, www.calamityjanerecordings.com which has access to our Myspace as well as our podcast, Facebook and everything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment